It’s fun under the sun! Summer is the best time for adventurous beach trips and relaxing pool days. But we must be extra cautious during this season as the scorching heat comes with a hazard not only to humans but to the dogs as well. Here are some tips on how to keep your dog nice and cool during the warm sunny days.
- This may seem obvious but this is one of the most important steps on your dog’s overall wellness.
- Change your walking time. You should consider changing the schedule of your daily walks into the cooler hours of the day – early morning or in the evening.
- Pool time. It give us a refreshing feeling of diving into a cool pool on a warm day so why not let your dog experience the same relief. Set up a kiddie pool in your yard so your dog can splash around and cool down.
- Be mindful of the temperature. While it may look like a perfect day for your dog to play outdoors, the temperature might not be in your favor. It is best to let your dog stay indoors.
- Keep your dog’s tummy cool. If you notice your dog gravitate towards the cool tile in the bathroom, it’s because it helps them to cool down. You can apply this to outdoor spaces by soaking a towel in a cold water and laying it out for the dog to sprawl out on.
- You may think that the lesser the hair, the cooler it will be but in some cases more hair is beneficial. Your dog’s undercoat is part of their natural cooling system and top hair act as protection against the sun. Talk to your vet for the proper grooming for your pup.
- Provide enough shade. If you’re planning to bring along your dog outdoors for an extended period of time, make sure there will be a shade space for your dog to cool off. Or if not, pack self-made shade like a beach umbrella.