There are many commercially prepared cat treats that are filled with artificial flavors, colors, and preservatives. Cat parents should consider homemade healthy cat treats that can be easily prepared with little effort and time. Here are a few DIY recipe that your cat will surely love!
- 1 can tuna or ¾ cup canned salmon (drained)
- ¾ cup cooked white or brown rice
- 2 Tbsp. whole-wheat flour
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. water or broth, if needed
- Mix your fish meat with cooked rice.
- Add whole wheat flour and mix well in a food processor, you can also mix by hand.
- Form the mixture into small balls and place on wax paper. (Add water if too dry, enough to form balls)
- Cover balls and store them into fridge no more than 4 days.
- Balls may be frozen or thawed before serving.
For those cats that are prohibited with fish on their diets, you may substitute the tuna or salmon with two small jars of strained beef, chicken, or turkey.
You can also substitute ¾ cup of finely ground beef, chicken or pork for the tuna or salmon. However, these may result in a little drier mixtures, so adding water may be necessary.