Can Cats See Color?

Posted by Edward Cruz on

 

Retina, it’s the main component of the eye related to color.  The retina is an outlet of nerves that contains both rods and cones. The cones work by taking in light and changing the images into color. The message is then sent to the brain and the concept of color is realized. On the other hand, rods take in light from the eye and contrast the image into black and white.

The capability of the cats to see color is directly related to the amount of cones and rods that are present in the retina. However, modern science has recently been able to determine that cats have a much higher amounts of rods than cones in the retina. In comparison, the cones in cat’s retina can only account for roughly 20% and the other 80% consists of rods which make the cats to have the ability to see colors but not the ability to differentiate them.

Cats have always been hunters from as far back as the history of cat discovery. They lived and survived in the wilderness by hunting at night and keeping themselves concealed during the day. Their eyes were a great asset as they have the ability to see in much brighter contexts at night. This was essential to their survival.


Older Post Newer Post


0 comments


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published